Tuesday, May 13, 2014

croczilla

I remember seeing Crocodile Dundee (1986) during its initial run in a movie theater at the Hershey Lodge in Hershey, Pennsylvania. I was a bit confused by the theatrical one-sheet poster though. I could never understand why its star Paul Hogan was sandwiched in between what appeared to be two metallic Wurlitzer jukeboxes. When it finally occurred to me that those were skyscrapers he was peeling back (like jungle weeds) I could never comprehend why he was lording over a bustling city street like an ostensible Godzilla.


Nevermind the fact that his torso also appears to be situated in front of a corn field (I've been to Australia and I can attest that they don't grow corn in the bush). All kidding aside, there's still a place for the first Crocodile Dundee; especially for what surely must have been one of the first major thong scenes in a mainstream (family?) film. Before TV crocodile hunters and aptly dubbed steakhouses, this was most everyone's passport to the land down under. Thank God a few drag queens in a pink bus finally came along a decade later -- not to mention The Criterion Collection for giving us Walkabout (1971). Perhaps the tagline for this poster should have read: "If you shuck them, He will come." And by "He" of course I mean a shirtless, jukebox playing bushman. Whatever that is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment