Thursday, May 01, 2014

Eddie's favorite songs in movies (non-musicals)

This list was submitted by my frequent correspondent, codelincuente and brother from another mother, Eddie. There's not much to argue with here although I do prefer The Tracks of My Tears in The Big Chill (1983) and Across 110th Street in Across 110th Street (1972) slightly more. And I do mean slightly. My God, is Sexy Beast ("Boulder!") really 14 years old?? Seems like I only saw it for the first time yesterday. A classic never grows old; I guess that's why they call it a classic. For the most part I can't stand The Who either but I'm surprised Eddie didn't go with A Quick One, While He's Away ("You are forgiven...") from Rushmore (1998) and I've already expressed to him my own deep, personal regret at not having thought of the Slim Pickens scene from Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973) first (Knockin' on Heaven's Door). You can keep Krumholtz's panties. Oh, well...we'll always have Forbidden Zone.

no. 10 
Peaches by The Stranglers 
in Sexy Beast (2000)

no. 9 
Across 110th Street by Bobby Womack and J.J. Johnson; performed by Bobby Womack
in Jackie Brown (1997)

no. 8 
So This Is Love by Al Hoffman, Mack David and Jerry Livingston
in Walt Disney's Cinderella (1950)

no. 7 (Tie)
Hundred Mile High City by Ocean Colour Scene (OCS)
I Wanna Be Your Dog by The Stooges 
in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)


no. 6 (Tie)
Don't You Just Know It by Huey "Piano" Smith and the Clowns
Golden Brown by The Stranglers
Hernando's Hideaway by The Johnston Brothers
Lucky Star by Madonna
in Snatch (2000)

no. 5 
The Tracks of My Tears by Smokey Robinson, Pete Moore and Marv Tarplin; performed by The Miracles
in Platoon (1986) 


no. 4 
Luck Be a Lady by Frank Loesser; performed by David Krumholtz
in Slums of Beverly Hills (1998)


no. 3
Search and Destroy by The Stooges
in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)


no. 2   
Happy Jack by The Who
in the 2005 Hummer commercial


no. 1 
The End by The Doors
in Apocalypse Now (1979)


honorable mentions:


Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan) in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973)
Nothin' in the World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl (The Kinks) in Rushmore (1998)
Linus and Lucy (Vince Guaraldi) in A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
Atlantis (Donovan) in Goodfellas (1990)
Magic (Mick Smiley) in Ghostbusters (1984)
One Vision (Queen) in Iron Eagle (1986)
Squeezit the Moocher (Danny Elfman as The Devil) in Forbidden Zone (1980)

No comments:

Post a Comment