Tuesday, May 13, 2014

follow the river

      Woke up to some sad news today. Swiss artist H.R. Giger has passed away. His design work on the original Alien (1979 - 1997) film series (not to mention his countless contributions to album art) is ageless and everlasting. He was 74.

In addition, Canadian environmentalist and author Farley Mowat died recently at the ripe old age of 92. His seminal book Never Cry Wolf was turned into a beautiful film of the same name in 1983, directed by the great cinematographer Carroll Ballard (The Black Stallion). 

In short, we've lost two great luminaries in the world of film. I've been re-reading Tobias Wolff's This Boy's Life, and I just came across this particular passage. Perhaps it fills me with the same longing as the death of these two great artists. I don't exactly know why, but it seems relevant to quote at this particular time:

The night was hazy. There was no moon. Farmhouse windows burned with a soft buttery light, as if they were under water. We went from farmland to forest and then picked up the river and followed the river into the mountains. I looked at the country we passed through with a lordly eye, allowing myself small stirrings of fondness for what I thought had failed to hold me. I did not know that the word home would forever after be filled with this place.

Thanks for making this home of ours a far more enchanting place, with your truth and your beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment